What is The School Recycling CLUB?
The School Recycling CLUB assists schools in implementing, maintaining and improving recycling programs! We are housed and managed by the Northeast Resource Recovery Association (NRRA).
The CLUB can give new or existing school groups a chance to join a program that will help them promote or advance their efforts, network with other school groups, and stimulate school recycling, reducing waste and save energy.
The CLUB now offers six Classroom Workshops and three School Technical Assistance Programs. The workshops are designed for use in a standard classroom setting and most can be tailored to fit the curricular and developmental needs of any class grades K-12. The Technical Assistance programs are designed to work at a larger, school-wide level and focus on big picture problems and solutions. Click HERE to view our menu of programs.
The School Recycling CLUB Benefits:
- The latest news in the school recycling community;
- Offers Classroom Workshops on a multitude of current topics;
- Gain recognition for your school’s recycling efforts;
- Receive technical assistance for school recycling,
- Holds the Annual School Recycling Conference and;
- Access multiple grant opportunities!
The School Recycling CLUB has over 230-member schools and over 85,000 participating students! We can help you put your school on the road to becoming greener.
Student Recyclers makes school recycling happen!
Many municipalities have successful recycling programs, but what about the “community within the community” – our schools. By adopting a school recycling program, schools can establish and reinforce environmentally sound practices throughout the students lives, giving them the opportunity to continue this behavior as adults.
Why Recycle at Schools?
Recycling is removing materials from the waste stream and putting them to new uses. By adopting a recycling program, a school not only removes materials from the waste stream, but can also:
- reduce disposal costs,
- save valuable landfill space,
- conserve natural resources,
- provide students educational opportunities, and
- empower students with the knowledge that their actions CAN make a difference!
Here’s a little history for you:
• The NH School Recycling CLUB started in 1998 through the NH Governor’s Recycling Program.
• In 2002, Northeast Resource Recovery Association (NRRA) adopted the school program.
• In 2009 NRRA merged with Association of Vermont Recyclers (AVR) and added their educational resources to The CLUB’s arsenal.
• In 2012, The CLUB launched its own webpage, enabling us to reach out to more schools.
• In 2013, we created our Facebook page to provide further outreach opportunities (Facebook)
• As of today we have over 200 member schools in NH, VT, ME, MA, CT & RI. Our newsletter goes out to over 4,000 subscribers.
• We are now called The School Recycling CLUB (a.k.a. The CLUB).
The CLUB was created to assist schools in implementing, maintaining and improving recycling programs. The CLUB is designed to give new or existing school groups a chance to join a program that will help them promote or advance their efforts, network with other school groups, and stimulate school recycling. For example:
• The CLUB has developed a series of educational resources for students and teachers to use in our Resource section.
• We publish a monthly newsletter “School News You Can Use” throughout the school year.
• We offer Workshops and Technical Assistance throughout New England using a network of experienced educators.
• We have developed a waste audit Star Assessment to monitor recycling efforts and suggest improvements to schools. The Star is free of charge when done in conjunction with a CLUB Workshop or Technical Assistance. The results of a Star Assessment can help your school determine how best to start your waste reduction program. (As a bonus, you can use the data you collect for real-world math lessons on weight, volume, graphs and charts.)
• We are supported in part by NH the Beautiful (www.nhthebeautiful.org), an organization dedicated to recycling and offering discounted products and educational opportunities to NH schools.
Please take a few minutes to check out our website and our resources. We hope you find them useful, and we welcome your feedback on how we can improve in the future. Thanks again for visiting The CLUB!